- Contributes to increased acceptance of used electric cars.
- Patented test implemented in several countries in Europe, including Sweden.
- Jury Chairman: "Significant contribution to sustainable mobility."
As an independent organization in inspection, testing, and certification, DEKRA is committed to transitioning to safety and sustainability solutions on the road to tomorrow's mobility. This applies to road, rail, water, and air transport. DEKRA's experts are also involved in micro mobility, cyclist safety, and pedestrian protection.
DEKRA's battery test was introduced in early 2022 and has since been successfully implemented in several European countries. In Sweden, the battery test is conducted at all DEKRA inspection stations and is also available as a SaaS solution for used electric car dealers. The test can be used to make a reliable assessment of the battery's health in an electric car within 15 minutes. The process has been validated by RWTH Aachen University and is internationally patented.
– We warmly congratulate DEKRA on winning the Innovation Award 2023. Whether it's road, rail, or air transport – we live in a time where we want to move away from fossil fuels across the entire automotive sector. Alternatives are therefore inevitable, and their promotion is more important. E-mobility plays a key role in climate-friendly transport. This makes the contribution from DEKRA's battery test with sustainability and cost-effectiveness more significant, says jury chairman Prof. Knut Ringat, who is also the initiator of the award.
Christoph Nolte, Executive Vice President of DEKRA Group and Head of Vehicle Inspection Service Division, thanked DVWG and the jury members;
– The award is a great recognition for DEKRA and at the same time confirms that independent inspection and transparent consumer protection are cornerstones for building trust and acceptance for sustainable, affordable, and innovative solutions.
– Not only the individual consumer benefits from DEKRA's battery test, but it also creates a basis for a functioning used car market for electric cars, which is urgently needed to reduce emissions in the transportation sector. It is precisely such projects that we want to recognize through the Innovation Award; pioneering initiatives that directly contribute to climate-friendly mobility in Germany and also represent the industry's innovative power, emphasizes DVWG President and jury member Prof. Dr. Jan Ninnemann.
Mobility is about providing people with the opportunity to transport themselves and goods quickly, efficiently, and environmentally friendly.
In the field of sustainable mobility, DEKRA's battery test is currently the only solution for rapid, AI-based measurement of the health of batteries in used electric cars. It is a crucial building block for a functioning used car market for electric cars – and thus for sustainability, safety, and more cost-effective e-mobility.
DEKRA's battery test is more than just a readout of the electric car's vehicle data. It includes both a static and dynamic part, making the battery test unique and reliable.
A very short test drive with an acceleration of about 100 meters is sufficient for DEKRA's battery test. Various key data for the battery are read through the built-in diagnostic interface. However, the real innovation lies in classifying the measurements using a highly complex algorithm and an extensive database. For this purpose, fundamental data is established during test drives for each individual vehicle type, under different environmental conditions such as heat or cold – followed by additional complex, AI-supported calculations.
DEKRA's battery test can therefore transparently and independently measure the battery's health in just 15 minutes. This enables the necessary trust in the battery's health. The test aims to contribute to increased acceptance of used electric cars in terms of consumer protection.